Wednesday, November 21, 2012
So it has been a year. Not just “a” year, but “A” year, the kind of year that we will likely look back on and shudder about, and wonder about, and hopefully remember at all. Stress is a powerful amnesiac.
Anyway, here are 10 somewhat ridiculous and otherwise kinds of things I am thankful for this year.
10. I am not a turkey.
Really, on Thanksgiving that is a reasonable reason for gratitude.
9. I have teeth.
Yes, I like chewing. That is why I am not a smoothie fan, I so like to chew. And at Thanksgiving there are SO MANY tasty chewable things.
8. I am not vegan or vegetarian or on a low carb diet.
None of these are the end of the world, but I am grateful on this feasting day that I am omnivorous and that for whatever reason God has blessed me with an energetic metabolism. Phew. That is a mercy and I am grateful.
7. I don’t hate football…and not just because of “when in Rome” yadda yadda.
6. I still have a house, and electricity, and heat. Not everyone in Jersey does. I am grateful.
5. For pie.
4. For all my random phobias, anxieties, and neurotic tendency to panic/overreact at the slightest provocation, cooking and baking do not scare me at all. This is a blessing at this time of year.
3. My spouse likes to wash dishes. He is more than a little OCD about washing dishes. Winning!
2. For Parades with Balloons…a delight that Never Gets Old.
1. Finally, for family, friends, doctors—sometimes it’s hard to tell where one group ends and another begins…
A year ago we were truly on the brink. At Thanksgiving we were days away from one of the worst days ever for us, and I think some part of me knew that something was brewing…and that time was only the beginning of some of the worst months ever for us. We’ve moved from shell-shocked to having some peace in this new normal (at least most days). We’ve made it through a really hard year. So for everyone who has stood with us, we are grateful.
Happy Thanksgiving, all! Now go chew something delicious. ; )